Apply for Permanent Residence

You can only apply for permanent residence (PR) in Canada if the IRB-RPD or the IRB-RAD approve your claim.

You can apply online using the Permanent Residence Portal or send forms by mail or courier. Ask a legal representative to look at your PR application before sending it to IRCC. If you do not have a legal representative, contact a local settlement agency for help finding one.

Prepare the documents

To apply, you must prepare:


If you have dependants inside or outside Canada, you must fill out a separate set of forms for them. You must prepare:

Make paper and digital copies of all the final signed documents to keep for your own records before sending in your application.

Translate documents

For any document (including any stamps and seals) that is not in English or French, you must send in:

  • The English or French translation. See the IRCC website to follow their requirements to translate documents.
  • If you cannot get a certified translator for your identification documents, you can use a non-certified translator. You need:
    • an affidavit from the person who did the translation, and
    • a certified copy of the original document. It must be certified in Canada by a notary public, a commissioner of oaths, or a commissioner for taking affidavits.


An affidavit for a translation is a document that states that the translation is an accurate version of the original. The translator swears this in front of a professional who can take oaths in the country where they live. The person must speak English or French well in order to take the oath.

Who can prepare an affidavit?

In Canada:

  • a notary public
  • a commissioner of oaths
  • a commissioner for taking affidavits

Outside Canada:

  • a notary public or someone with an equal position

You or any of your family members cannot do the affidavit. Even a member of your family who is a lawyer, notary public, or certified translator is not allowed to prepare your affidavit. (This includes a parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew and first cousin.)

Pay fees

You must pay a fee when you apply for PR for yourself and for any family members. You pay all fees online. To pay your fees, you need:

  • An email address to set up a login and password,
  • Access to a printer (to print the receipt), and
  • A credit card, Debit MasterCard® or Visa® Debit card.

When you are ready to pay:

  • Go to Online Payment.
  • Follow the instructions.
    • At the end, click on the button to print the IRCC official receipt with a barcode. Print two copies.
    • Save a copy on your computer.
    • Email yourself a copy.
    • Attach a printed copy of this receipt to your application.
    • Keep the other copies of the receipt for your records.


If you must give biometrics (such as fingerprints) and you are applying from within Canada, go to a designated Service Canada location. Once you pay the application and biometrics fees, you get a biometric instructions letter (BIL). It gives you a list of biometric collection service points to choose from. You must bring the BIL with you to the biometric collection service point.

Give your biometrics as soon as possible. Nothing happens with your application until you send them in.

Send in your application

You can apply and send in your forms through the online PR portal. Or you can mail in your forms or have a courier deliver them. Remember to make copies of all your documents to keep for your own records.

Mailing address

Protected Persons in Canada application
Box 12153 STN A
Sydney, NS
B1P 0L1

Courier address

Protected Persons in Canada application
3050 Wilson Avenue
New Waterford, NS
B1H 5V8

Final steps

If you did your application properly, IRCC sends you a letter. The letter tells you if you are approved for PR. You will get an email with questions and instructions for some final steps. Your PR card will arrive in the mail. It may take several weeks to get it.

Sometimes, IRCC asks to interview you. They may want you to confirm facts or send them more information. Once IRCC has what they need, you will likely find out your PR status at a final interview.