Get the Support You Need

Settlement agencies

Connect to a settlement agency or other community services for help. They can help you look for a job, get a home, find language classes, sign up your children for school, and learn about free services for refugee claimants.

Interim Federal Health Program

As a refugee claimant, you can get health care from the Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP) including:

  • hospital services,
  • services from health-care professionals,
  • vision and urgent dental care, and
  • prescription drugs.

This continues until you can get regular health insurance or until you have to leave Canada.

Get mental health support

You may feel stressed during the refugee claimant process. You may also have experienced trauma in your home country, and during your journey to Canada. There are services in Canada that may be helpful for you. The IFHP provides some help for this.

Make new friends

Try to meet other refugee claimants or newcomers. With them, you can feel safe to share your experiences. Make new friends and keep in touch with your family and friends back home if you can.