Start Your Claim

To start the process of getting protection in Canada, you make an official refugee claim.

There are two ways to start a refugee claim:

  • In person when you arrive at the border. This is a “port of entry” claim.
  • When you are already inside Canada. This is an “inland claim.”

Either way, you will have a refugee hearing. Then the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada – Refugee Protection Division (IRB-RPD) decides if you get protection.

Next guide section: 4.2 Port of Entry Claim