Port of Entry or Inland: Where and How Your Refugee Claim Starts

You need to make an official refugee claim in order to start the process of receiving protection in Canada. 

There are two separate locations and processes for you to make a refugee claim: 

  • Upon arrival to Canada at a port of entry, such as an airport, seaport, or land border crossing. This is called a “port of entry refugee claim.” You will tell the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer that you would like to make a refugee claim. They will start the process with you.
  • When you are already inside of Canada. This is called an “inland refugee claim.” If you are in Canada, you will make your refugee claim on the IRCC Portal to begin the process.

Next guide section: 4.2 Port of Entry Claim